Where and When Will I Vote?

When: The election will be held between 9 am and 8 pm on Monday, October 27.
Where: You will receive your Voter Notification Letter in the mail in October telling you where you can vote.


What Identification will I need?

There are many things you can use. You can bring:

  • a document that shows your name, qualifying address and signature [e.g. Ontario driver’s licence; Ontario Health Card (photo card); Ontario motor vehicle permit (plate portion)];


  • a document that shows your name and signature [e.g. Ontario driver’s licence; Ontario Health Card (photo card); Ontario motor vehicle permit (plate portion), Passport, Citizenship Card], presented together with a document that shows your name and qualifying address [e.g. property tax assessment; Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion); Child Tax Benefit Statement; statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS)].

For a full list, see the list of acceptable identification on the City of Kingston’s website.


Am I on the voters’ list?

You can find out if you’re on the voters’ list on the City of Kingston website. Click here go to the right page.


I am not on the voters’ list!

That’s not a problem. You can add your name on the voters’ list in advance, or at the poll on election day. It’s a good idea to add your name in advance, but it’s not required in order to vote.

How do I add my name to the voters’ list in advance?

Complete an Application to Amend the Voters’ List at the City Hall Election Office. The form must be completed by the individual requiring the change. You need identification with your name and qualifying address to be added to the Voters’ List. After your application is completed, you will receive a Clerk’s Certificate to present at your poll on a Voting Day.

The Voters’ List can be changed at the poll on a Voting Day as long as proper identification is presented.


Can I vote?

You can vote in Kingston’s municipal election if you:

  • are a Canadian citizen; and
  • are at least 18 years old; and
  • are not prohibited from voting under any law; and
  • are either:
    • a resident in the City of Kingston; or
    • a non-resident of the City of Kingston, but you or your spouse own or rent property in the City.


What about students who are living away from home?

There is a special rule for students who may be living away from home while they attend school. If you are a student and consider your “home” to be the place where you live when you are not attending school, which means you plan on returning there, then you are eligible to vote in both your “home” municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.

Join Mary Rita's Team!

* = required field
I would like to...